Associate Technical Designer
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2023
Primary is a gender-non-prescriptive, inclusive kids clothing brand started by Galyn Bernard and Christina Carbonell in 2015. The company was founded on the idea that kids clothing should be affordable, feel amazing, and be free of logos and slogans so that all kids can truly shine. Our customers are incredibly passionate about our mission, leading to strong repeat metrics and one of the highest NPS scores in the industry (85+). We are laser-focused on building a strong, sustainable and profitable (!!) business, and hiring the best people to help us get there.
Our company values kind and thoughtful self-starters who can think strategically and then work collaboratively with people across the organization to produce high-quality outcomes. We are also a very change-friendly group of people, and are always seeking fresh points of view to uncover ways we can improve our products, processes and team culture.
Full-Time Employee Benefits:
- 4-day workweek: Fridays are flexible at Primary to allow you to manage your work-life balance
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, & insurance, pre-tax spending/savings accounts, 401(k), company-provided disability & life insurance, and more.
- Generous time off: 3 weeks of PTO (4 weeks after two years at the company), 3 floating holidays, 11 company-paid holidays (plus the last week of December off), plus 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave for all new parents
- Primary School: a program that gives every employee $100 a month to spend on classes to help them grow (even if unrelated to their work).
- $500 to spend on improving your work from home setup (for remote/hybrid employees)
Primary is looking for a highly motivated and detail oriented Associate Technical Designer who can uphold our commitment to quality and help bring our products to life. The Associate Technical Designer is a key player in Primary’s product development process, ensuring fit, function, and quality of our product. The company continues to evolve quickly, and we are looking for someone who can multitask, think critically in the moment, and be able to effectively collaborate with cross-functional partners. In this position, you will report to the Senior Director of Technical Design, beginning as a contractor with potential to go permanent. This position will be based out of our NYC HQ, located in the fashion district of Manhattan.
What You'll Do:
- Master and uphold Primary’s brand standards to ensure high quality and a consistently excellent fit in everything we produce.
- Effectively collaborate with internal partners including design, sourcing, and merchandising.
- Work closely with the internal and external teams to track samples and adhere to the development calendar.
- Maintain established fit, construction, and safety standards by producing accurate specification packages including sketch details, base size specifications, grading, and construction.
- Prepare, photograph, and measure all fit samples prior to and during live-model fittings.
- Evaluate all fit samples to determine compliance with specifications and that construction and fit are to Primary’s standards.
- Own communication with overseas vendors through written fit comments, sketches, and/or pattern corrections.
- Efficiently organize and prioritize workload to meet all deadlines for tech packs and fit comments.
- Organize and file samples into sample library; know sample library well to quickly pull samples to reference during meetings.
- Support additional technical design projects and initiatives as needed.
What You'll Bring
- Associate’s degree in Apparel Design/Patternmaking or equivalent plus 1-2 years experience in Technical Design. Children’s wear experience is ideal but not required.
- Proficient in product lifecycle management (we use Bamboo Rose - if you’re not familiar, you’re a quick and eager learner!)Strong knowledge of pattern making, garment construction, sewing techniques, fabrication, and trim.
- Highly proficient in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Power Point, Word, Excel, Outlook/Gmail.
- Superior organizational skills; meticulous attention to detail. Strong presentation skills & excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Do These Sound Like You?
- You’re a self-starter and are proud to own your work. You have the ability to multitask, you prioritize your workload, and you take responsibilities for deadlines. You have a strong sense of urgency and flexibility.
- You love to use creative problem-solving skills, and you excel working in a fast-paced environment.
- You effectively balance creativity with technical capability and logical thinking. You are curious and solution-oriented - someone who seeks both the “how” and the “why”.
- You are a collaborator who values integrity, innovation, respect, and excellence.
- You are passionate about Primary’s brand and its commitment to quality and about growing the business (and as a result approach every day as a business owner!).
Want to apply but not sure if you’d be the right fit? If this role calls to you, we want to hear from you. There is no ‘perfect’ candidate. Everyone brings something different to the team, and our diversity is what makes us strong. Speaking of which - not only is discrimination illegal, it is simply not tolerated at Primary. We welcome all candidates who are currently eligible to work full-time in the United States for any employer to apply.
If you have any accommodation needs for your interview, please let us know at hr at primary dot com. We are happy to make reasonable accommodations at any point during your time with Primary.