Director of Engineering, Platform & Data
Alma is on a mission to simplify access to high-quality, affordable mental health care. We do this by making it easy and financially rewarding for therapists to accept insurance and offer in-network care. When a provider joins Alma, they gain access to a suite of tools that not only help them better run their business, but also grow it sustainably and develop as a provider. Alma is available in all 50 states, with over 11,000 therapists in our growing network. Anyone looking for a therapist can browse Alma’s free directory. Alma has raised $220.5M in funding from Insight Partners, Optum Ventures, Tusk Venture Partners, Primary Venture Partners, Sound Ventures, BoxGroup, Cigna Ventures, and Rainfall Ventures. Alma was also named one of Inc’s Best Workplaces in 2022.
Director of Engineering, Platform and Data
We are looking for a Director of Engineering to join our team and help drive Alma’s technology strategy. As a member of the Engineering leadership team, this person will lead engineering efforts for infrastructure, platform capabilities, and data; and will be responsible for helping to build scalable products, teams, and processes.
The Director of Engineering will support a team of Engineering Managers as they grow and expand their teams, all the while standardizing best practices across the engineering organization. The ideal candidate must have technical and operational chops working across teams to achieve objectives and execute projects, especially as the organization considers new products and categories.
What you’ll do:
- Grow and develop an incredible team of hardworking and motivated Engineering Managers who have high expectations around individual ownership and impact.
- Set goals and direction for the team, anticipating strategic and company scaling challenges via thoughtful long-term planning. All of these teams you will oversee are new and you will be building (some from scratch).
- Partner with the Director of Recruiting and your team to lead the recruiting process, hiring, and onboarding strategy to grow and scale the team.
- Take lead in building out the future organizational structure from entry level through senior leadership within your areas of the engineering team.
Who you are:
- You have 7-10 years of engineering experience, with 5+ years of people management.
- You’ve previously led and/or managed a team of 3 or more Engineering Managers or Senior Managers
- You have a demonstrable history of managing platform/infrastructure teams in engineering orgs over 100 engineers; including working with members of the team to define an architectural vision, and supporting change management as the team evolves various systems and introduces new technologies.
- You are a coach, a mentor, and an advocate to individual contributors of different seniority levels and expertise.
- You possess a clear and engaging communication style with a track record of building positive relationships across a broad diverse organization.
- You can comfortably communicate technical details with people outside of engineering.
- You may have experience working with HIPAA or within a highly regulated industry.
- You feel a passion for Alma's mission – to improve the experience of therapy for providers and their clients, and simplify access to care.
- We’re a remote-first company
- Health insurance plans through Cigna (medical and dental) and MetLife (vision), including FSA & HSA plans
- 401k plan (Roth and traditional)
- Free Alma platform access
- Monthly therapy and wellness stipends
- Monthly co-working space membership stipend
- Monthly work-from-home stipend to power your wifi, lunches, coffee, etc
- Pet discount program through United Pet Care
- Financial perks and rewards through BenefitHub
- Free EAP access through LifeWorks
- One-time home office stipend to set up your home office
- Comprehensive parental leave plans
- 9 paid holidays, 1 Alma Mental Health Day, and 1 Alma Volunteering Day
- Flexible PTO
Salary Band: $230,000 - $255,000
Alma’s compensation philosophy is driven by our company value of building equity. To best ensure pay equity, we typically bring in new hires near the middle of our listed salary bands and we do not negotiate our compensation (i.e. all people hired at the same level & role are brought in at the same salary, equity, and benefits). The recruiter you work with can provide more details on our philosophy.
All Alma jobs are listed on our careers page. We do not use outside applications or automated text messaging in our recruiting process. We will not ask for any sensitive financial or identification information throughout the recruiting process. Any communication during the recruitment process, including interview requests or job offers, will come directly from a recruiting team member with a helloalma.com email address.