Senior Privacy Counsel
Alma is on a mission to simplify access to high-quality, affordable mental health care. We do this by making it easy and financially rewarding for therapists to accept insurance and offer in-network care. When a provider joins Alma, they gain access to a suite of tools that not only help them better run their business, but also grow it sustainably and develop as a provider. Alma is available in all 50 states, with over 11,000 therapists in our growing network. Anyone looking for a therapist can browse Alma’s free directory. Alma has raised $220.5M in funding from Insight Partners, Optum Ventures, Tusk Venture Partners, Primary Venture Partners, Sound Ventures, BoxGroup, Cigna Ventures, and Rainfall Ventures. Alma was also named one of Inc’s Best Workplaces in 2022.
Senior Privacy Counsel
We’re looking for a Senior Privacy Counsel to join our quickly scaling team. Reporting to the General Counsel, this role will focus on privacy and data protection related matters and also work closely with stakeholders across the company to provide counseling for a wide range of legal areas.
The Senior Privacy Counsel will play a critical role in shaping privacy at Alma through providing day-to-day advice, analyzing risk, resolving complex issues that arise, and monitoring business functions and products to ensure Alma is protecting the data of our providers and their patients. The ideal candidate is not only excited about refining the legal function at a high-growth startup, but also feels strongly about building positive relationships across the business.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as key senior member of the legal team and expert on matters relating to privacy and data protection law.
- Develop privacy frameworks for the business and help grow a culture of privacy.
- Partner with all teams across the organization to provide guidance on privacy around daily operations, product launches, and new initiatives.
- Act as lead investigator in response to potential data breaches per established processes and documentation requirements.
- Provide legal counsel on operational, risk, transactional, and strategic matters.
- Develop and maintain legal resources such as a legal playbook and FAQs for various teams.
Who you are:
- You have a JD law degree from an accredited U.S. Law School and a member of a US state bar in good standing, with the ability to register as In-house Counsel in NY or waive into New York State.
- You have 8-10 years’ experience in data privacy, health law, compliance, or regulatory working in a health insurance, health system, or high-growth health tech.
- You have comprehensive knowledge of federal and state privacy and data protection regulatory requirements.
- You are able to communicate effectively across all levels and legal understanding.
- You are a self starter and capable of overseeing transactions end to end.
- You are able to prioritize and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, high volume, and frequently changing environment.
- You are able to provide practical advice by weighing legal risk against business needs and realities.
- You have a demonstrated ability to operate in a highly-visible, fast-paced, and challenging position successfully and efficiently.
- You are passionate about Alma’s mission and making mental healthcare more accessible.
- We’re a remote-first company
- Health insurance plans through Cigna (medical and dental) and MetLife (vision), including FSA & HSA plans
- 401k plan (Roth and traditional)
- Free Alma platform access
- Monthly therapy and wellness stipends
- Monthly co-working space membership stipend
- Monthly work-from-home stipend to power your wifi, lunches, coffee, etc
- Pet discount program through United Pet Care
- Financial perks and rewards through BenefitHub
- Free EAP access through LifeWorks
- One-time home office stipend to set up your home office
- Comprehensive parental leave plans
- 9 paid holidays, 1 Alma Mental Health Day, and 1 Alma Volunteering Day
- Flexible PTO
Salary Band: $185,000 - $210,000
Alma’s compensation philosophy is driven by our company value of building equity. To best ensure pay equity, we typically bring in new hires near the middle of our listed salary bands and we do not negotiate our compensation (i.e. all people hired at the same level & role are brought in at the same salary, equity, and benefits). The recruiter you work with can provide more details on our philosophy.
All Alma jobs are listed on our careers page. We do not use outside applications or automated text messaging in our recruiting process. We will not ask for any sensitive financial or identification information throughout the recruiting process. Any communication during the recruitment process, including interview requests or job offers, will come directly from a recruiting team member with a helloalma.com email address.