Senior Data Scientist
COMPASS Pathways plc (Nasdaq: CMPS) is a biotechnology company dedicated to accelerating patient access to evidence-based innovation in mental health. The Company is head-quartered in London, UK and has offices in NYC and San Francisco. Our focus is on improving the lives of those who are suffering with mental health challenges and who are not helped by current treatments. We are pioneering the development of a new model of psilocybin treatment, in which our proprietary formulation of synthetic psilocybin is administered in conjunction with psychological support.
Our vision is a world of mental wellbeing - COMPASS Pathways.
The Senior Data Scientist will play a crucial role in supporting a wide range of initiatives encompassing statistical computational modelling advanced analytics, machine learning, and artificial intelligence projects. In this role, you will collaborate closely with internal and external stakeholders to create insights and models aimed at advancing discoveries and creating innovative data-driven products in the field of mental health care.
Reports to: Vice President, Digital Health Research.
Location: Office based in San Francisco (minimum 4 days a week).
Role and responsibilities
(includes but are not limited to):
- Deliver quantitative expertise across the organization, from data science and analytics to traditional statistical and computer science analysis as part of the mission to enhance the patient experience and to facilitate the development of critical applications as COMPASS grows
- Working with open-source machine learning models (including large language models) to build AI-powered mental health products, using techniques such as prompt engineering, semantic search memory augmentation, and model fine-tuning
- Create of algorithms and analyses that harness a wide spectrum of patient data, including psychological support session information, mental health assessments, as well as digital and traditional biomarkers (such as voice, vision, smart device, EEG, and more), using a data-driven approach to refine the treatment process, promoting more precise interventions, personalized therapeutic strategies, and real-time post-treatment follow-up
- Collaborate with engineering teams across back-end, front-end, UI/UX, and other domains to deploy advanced algorithms within a scalable and widely distributed infrastructure, furthering the efforts to assist patients as they progress through the COMPASS treatment journey and support therapists in their care for patients while also contributing to the training of future therapists
- Effectively communicate insights to stakeholders, extracting therapeutic intelligence from both internal and external data sources, transforming technical material and data into a compelling narrative, tailored for a non-technical audience, that brings a meaningful impact
- Identify opportunities and take ownership of data-driven projects that further the COMPASS mission: This encompasses the entire project lifecycle, from formulation and data generation to delivery and ongoing performance monitoring, demonstrating a comprehensive commitment to project ownership and contribution
- Substantial experience in the field either through industry and/or academia (Degree in: Statistics, Computer Science, Neuroscience, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or related)
- Strong analytical, project management, written and verbal communication skills
- Highly proficient in Python and the standard data science stack (pandas, numpy, scipy, scikit-learn)
- Experience with large-language models implemented in PyTorch and/or TensorFlow/Keras
- Understanding of at least two common machine learning & AI architectures (convolutional neural nets, reinforcement learning, attention & transformer-based networks, graph neural nets, etc...)
- Understanding of a variety of statistical and/or machine learning methods (regression, statistical hypothesis testing and design of experiments, tree-based algorithms, supervised vs unsupervised learning). Expert knowledge in a selection of several key areas
- Comfortable with Linux, Git, and the AWS cloud environment
- Ability to operate independently and in cross-functional teams in an entrepreneurial and rapid growth-oriented environment
- Strong alignment with core company mission and values Compassionate, Bold, Rigorous, and Inclusiv
- Ability to work in the US, specifically 4-5 days per week in our office in San Francisco as team collaboration is a key component of this role, therefore in person office attendance is preferred
- A PhD in a computational field and expertise in Cognitive Psychology are a plus
Benefits & Compensation:
For an overview of our benefits package and compensation information, please visit "Working at COMPASS".
Please note that the base salary range is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level, competencies, and work location.
Base pay is one part of the Total Package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work and any role at COMPASS, regardless of the location, is eligible for additional discretionary bonuses and equity.
We are proud of our commitment to diversity and equality (pursuant to the Equality Act 2010). We do not discriminate based upon race, religion or belief, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, pregnancy or maternity, marital or civil partner status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, age or disability.
COMPASS Pathways is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military service, genetic information, familial or marital status, or any other status, category, or characteristic protected by applicable law.