Senior Director, Controller
COMPASS Pathways plc (Nasdaq: CMPS) is a biotechnology company dedicated to accelerating patient access to evidence-based innovation in mental health. The Company is head-quartered in London, UK and has offices in NYC and San Francisco. Our focus is on improving the lives of those who are suffering with mental health challenges and who are not helped by current treatments. We are pioneering the development of a new model of psilocybin treatment, in which our proprietary formulation of synthetic psilocybin is administered in conjunction with psychological support.
Our vision is a world of mental wellbeing - COMPASS Pathways.
The Senior Director, Controller will support the VP of Finance (based in London) and play an integral part in the ongoing expansion of the Finance team at an exciting time in the Company’s development as we progress our two pivotal phase 3 trials, prepare to seek regulatory approval and move into commercialization.
The CFO, SVP of Investor Relations and Director of External Reporting are all based in the US, on the East Coast. The remainder of the Finance team is based in London and provide the financial support for our UK and US teams. This role will require strong leadership, flexibility, attention to detail and a keen interest in collaborative, cross-functional working.
The Company uses NetSuite as its ERP system, Concur as it’s expense system and partners with ADP as payroll provider.
Reports to: Vice President, Finance.
Location: Preferably hybrid in our London, UK office or in our New York office. We are also considering candidates working remotely on the East Coast US or the UK.
Roles and responsibilities
(include but are not limited to):
- Management responsibility for a Financial Controller (with five direct reports) and SOX Process & Improvement Manager, both based in London
- Support the Financial Controller in the management of financial operations and monthly close processes
- Support the SOX & Process Improvement Manager in design and implementation of controls, including review by external and internal audit
- Will work closely with the Financial Controller and Director of External Reporting on the Quarterly (10-Q) and Annual (10-K) US GAAP accounts, in addition to the Annual FRS 102 (UK GAAP) Statutory accounts
- Will have responsibility for treasury and tax functions, supported by external consultants
- Will work closely with FP&A team to manage cashflow and hedging
- Building close working relationships with key external vendors
- Cross-functional collaboration with other G&A departments to support company-wide business processes: People, IT, Legal
- Working inter-functionally in Finance and cross-functionally with the Commercial team to support commercialisation efforts, including building financial processes and systems to support a commercial organisation
- Partnering closely with R&D teams to support ongoing financial operations
- May fulfil additional ad hoc requests depending on business activity, including working with the Corporate Development team to determine impacts of potential partnerships
- Working closely with the VP of Finance, CFO and Executive Team. We encourage cross-functional working and support those who wish to gain experience beyond their immediate job description
The successful candidate will likely have a strong academic background, and will have trained in the Big 4, with a proven track-record of working in high quality US listed biotech companies in a pre-commercial and/or commercial setting and have an entrepreneurial outlook.
- CPA/ACA qualified
- Considerable post-qualified experience
- High quality academic background
- Operates as a self-starter and can work independently
- Strong leadership skills
- Attentive to detail, data integrity and accuracy
- Fast paced, ambitious, independent and with a strong work ethic
- Able to interact with colleagues across the business, including across multiple geographies
- Committed to COMPASS’ ethos and values
- Familiar with UK statutory and US GAAP reporting
- Commercial Biotech experience essential
- Experience in building as well as operating financial capabilities to support commercial activities a plus
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a growing, entrepreneurial, well-funded international biotech company which promotes a culture of well-being. You will be working with highly experienced Leadership and Executive team. Our US employees regularly visit our London office to promote collaborative working.
Benefits & Compensation:
For an overview of our benefits package and compensation information, please visit "Working at COMPASS".
Please note that the base salary range is a guideline, and individual total compensation will vary based on factors such as qualifications, skill level, competencies, and work location.
Base pay is one part of the Total Package that is provided to compensate and recognize employees for their work and any role at COMPASS, regardless of the location, is eligible for additional discretionary bonuses and equity.
We are proud of our commitment to diversity and equality (pursuant to the Equality Act 2010). We do not discriminate based upon race, religion or belief, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, pregnancy or maternity, marital or civil partner status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, age or disability.
COMPASS Pathways is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military service, genetic information, familial or marital status, or any other status, category, or characteristic protected by applicable law.