Senior Manager, Advocacy and State Government Policy
COMPASS Pathways plc (Nasdaq: CMPS) is a biotechnology company dedicated to accelerating patient access to evidence-based innovation in mental health. Our focus is on improving the lives of those who are suffering with mental health challenges and who are not helped by current treatments. We are pioneering the development of a new model of psilocybin treatment, in which our proprietary formulation of synthetic psilocybin, COMP360, is administered in conjunction with psychological support.
Our vision is a world of mental wellbeing. COMPASS Pathways.
The Senior Manager, Advocacy and State Government Policy will be part of a strategic cross-functional team, managing, developing, and ultimately bringing together relationships with a diverse range of interested parties to ensure broad patient access and adoption of COMP360. This role will work to advance policies focused on sustaining or improving the U.S. innovation model and access to our medicines.
This position will play an integral role as COMPASS expands engagement with advocacy organizations and state governments. The Senior Manager, Advocacy and State Government Policy will be responsible for managing and executing a comprehensive stakeholder engagement strategy in the US. This position will drive engagement and communication with patient advocacy organizations, professional societies, and state governments.
Location: Hybrid in the Washington, DC area (including Baltimore and Virginia).
Reports to: Vice President, Market Acces.
Roles and responsibilities
(include but are not limited to):
- Responsible for initiating and positively influencing a range of strategic advocacy and state government relations initiatives that support COMPASS's business and policy objectives
- Advance COMPASS's leadership position in mental health by effectively engaging with diverse stakeholders across the political and healthcare landscapes to advance COMPASS's legislative and advocacy priorities
- Develop legislative champions who are well informed and supportive of patient access to novel treatments therapies in mental health
- Create, maintain, and evolve stakeholder specific priorities, goals, plans and budgets
- Represent the company at select patient conferences, medical congresses, and other patient-centered meetings, and serve as a liaison and primary point of contact with assigned COMPASS stakeholders.
- With internal and external experts, track, review and analyze legislation and amendments that could impact business, patients, or key provider groups and recommend action plans to shape or mitigate legislation and regulations
- Collaborate with law firms, consultants, and advocacy/stakeholder groups
- Maintain knowledge of issues that affect the public perception of the industry and the company
- The position will collaborate internally with Corporate Communications, and Commercial and Patient Access Teams in the development and execution of policy strategies
- Responsible for the development of stakeholder engagement materials as assigned, and internal materials, as assigned
- Develop and manage budget, agencies, projects, and CRM tools with the ability to multi-task simultaneously on competing priorities, and ensure resources are strategically apportioned
- Ensure compliance with corporate policies and procedures, as well as applicable laws and regulations
- BA/BS minimum; advanced degree preferred such as JD, MBA, MPP or other Masters-level degree desirable
- Minimum 3-5 years of government affairs and/or patient advocacy/professional society experience
- Passion for improving and transforming mental health landscape
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement multi-stakeholder engagement strategies and tactics required to advance an agenda, while maintaining influence and credibility
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in biotech/pharmaceutical commercial environments
- Deep understanding of the US healthcare system, with a focus on mental/behavioral health
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and business acumen skills; with the ability to collaborate and communicate effectively across key internal and external teams
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex information into effective storytelling
- Strong project management
- A self-starter with a bias for action, accountability, integrity & teamwork
- Ability to work well across US and EU time zones, in cross-functional groups and teams, and across a variety of cultures and backgrounds
We are proud of our commitment to diversity and equality (pursuant to the Equality Act 2010). We do not discriminate based upon race, religion or belief, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, gender, pregnancy or maternity, marital or civil partner status, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, age or disability.
COMPASS Pathways is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military service, genetic information, familial or marital status, or any other status, category, or characteristic protected by applicable law.