Sr. Manager, Total Rewards
Chief is changing the face of leadership. Our mission: build the most powerful network focused on connecting and supporting women leaders. Our members are VP and C-level executives across every industry who are leading their companies today and building a more equitable tomorrow. Chief was recently recognized as one of Fast Company's Most Innovative Companies of 2021, and you can read more about us in Forbes or watch us on The Today Show.
Launched in early 2019, Chief is a Series A stage start-up backed by General Catalyst, Inspired Capital, Primary Ventures, and other top-tier investors. The Chief network includes thousands of members from across the United States. We are headquartered in New York City with additional Flagship spaces in Los Angeles, Chicago, and, soon, San Francisco.
We are tech-powered. Our members make meaningful connections, engage in compelling discussions, and view our unique content through our digital platform. Our Product and Technology teams are building the future of that platform, with data and insights at its heart.
About the Role:
The Sr. Manager of Total Rewards will work directly with the People Leadership team to define our compensation and benefits philosophy and strategy which will consist of benefits, wellness, and compensation programs, policies, and procedures. Alongside the analysis and maintenance of current and future compensation and benefits offerings, you will also be responsible for ensuring fair and equitable compensation practices across the company, inclusive of monetary compensation, traditional and voluntary benefits, recognition programs, wellness programs, and remote flexibility, and more, for our US and international populations.
The Sr. Manager of Total Rewards will have the opportunity to construct and bring to life how Chief can and should support our internal team members through tangible and intangible offerings. You will do this more strategically and comprehensively by assessing our team and business needs, properly and appropriately benchmarking through external resources, and providing fit-for-purpose recommendations.
Reporting to the Sr. Director of People Operations, you will be critical to providing direction and expertise on how Chief can foster stronger and more meaningful relationships with our team members, and how we can consistently differentiate ourselves as an employer of choice. You will be largely responsible for creating and maintaining competitive compensation and benefits structures that motivate the Chief internal team. You'll partner with a range of stakeholders across the business on solutions that attract top talent and that drive engagement, satisfaction, and retention as part of the employee experience.
What you’ll do:
- Responsible for designing, planning, and implementing benefits, wellness, and compensation programs, policies, and procedures
- Analyze existing compensation structures and make necessary modifications that drive fair and equitable compensation practices throughout the organization
- Help to define Chief’s Total Rewards strategy and philosophy, inclusive of compensation and benefits, and execute the Total Rewards strategy in accordance with evolving and ever changing business needs
- Ensure accurate, fair and equitable compensation, including regular salaries, bonuses, equity across the business
- Act as a resource to People Leaders and the People Team on Total Rewards best practices including pay decisions, processes, policy and guideline interpretations, and job evaluations
- Consistently monitor and evaluate the effectiveness and appropriateness of Total Rewards programs and practices
- Review market benchmark surveys and reports and make applicable recommendations based on findings
- Conduct semi-annual compensation market analysis in accordance with our performance review process (and adhoc where necessary)
- Provide expertise to address escalated complex inquiries
- Differentiate Chief’s total rewards program as it relates to industry benchmarks
- Oversee administration of Total Rewards programs and leverage technology for continuous improvement in administration of programs
- Provide technical expertise on compensation policies and procedures, strategy, compliance and design
- Lead and participate in transformation efforts to ensure continuous improvement and increased effectiveness of Total Rewards offerings & programs
- Create internal communications materials and educational collateral to ensure understanding of the programs by the People Team, people leaders, and plan participants
What you’ve done and enjoy doing:
- Highly analytical - you must be able to analyze and interpret compensation metrics and emerging market trends. This will allow you to evaluate your strategy, validate your decisions, and make adjustments as business needs change
- Strong communicator - ability to convey your vision clearly and simplistically to both team members and people leaders. Being an excellent communicator with strong interpersonal skills will help you connect with team members around their needs and align stakeholders behind shared goals
- Business acumen - you must be able to see and think beyond the current scope of the business to make an impact on the employee experience. Balancing added value with cost means getting creative and thinking outside the box to solve problems
- Market/Industry knowledge - desire and ability to stay ahead of changing industry landscapes, to provide direction on how to remain competitive
- Deep knowledge and understanding of Total Rewards programs and framework(s), and what success looks like
- Experience with various compensation benchmarking tools, including but not limited to Radford
- The ability to interface with team members across all layers and levels, while also being able to and work independently and drive one's own success and deliverables
- Project management experience
- The ability to manage multiple priorities in a fast paced environment, with ever changing business needs
- *Required: MUST have experience as a people leader (directly managing a team/individuals)
Why You'll Want to Work Here:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Full medical, dental, and vision packages, 401(k)
- Experience as an early member of a startup team with exciting early traction
- Opportunity to work for a startup focused on driving real change for women in business
- Access to our ongoing virtual Chief member exclusive content, including workshops, thought leadership, and iconic speakers
- Wellness, Work from home and Learning Stipends
While we’re committed to remaining compliant and adhering to mandates, for us, pay transparency is more than a consideration of what’s lawful and unlawful but rather, an opportunity to disclose what’s required, and what we think is a fair and equitable compensation framework.
At Chief, we want to hire, develop, and retain the best talent, making Chief a top destination to accelerate your career. Our compensation framework is a key part of our vision, and we continually revisit and invest in our philosophy and framework to ensure we remain competitive and relevant, on a quest to achieve our vision.
The pay transparency mandates, as well as our own policies and practices, are a means of narrowing the gender pay gap and fostering an engaged and positive working environment that builds trust, on our mission to change the face of leadership.
The base salary for this role is: $150,000