Mental Health Therapist - Illinois
Join Cartwheel to help tackle the student mental health crisis.
Kids spend most of their days in the classroom. And teachers and staff, who play a vital role in their development, are often the first to notice when something is off. But with 1 in 5 young people struggling with mental health, schools are getting crushed by a downward spiral in student crises and staff burnout.
With large increases in federal funding for schools and the rise of telehealth, schools are reimagining what mental health support can look like.
Cartwheel is an early-stage company building a new kind of mental health program that puts schools at the center. We see our role as supporting on-campus counselors, psychologists, and school social workers who see kids every single day. Instead of going around them, we collaborate with them. This means:
- Earlier intervention
- Higher student and family engagement in care
- Better coordination among the trusted adults in a student’s life
Kids shouldn't just aspire to get out of bed and drag themselves to class. They should be able to experience joy. They deserve to envision and build a life they’re excited to live. If you join Cartwheel, you’ll help make this vision a reality for millions of students across the country. We’re backed by top investors including General Catalyst, BoxGroup, and Able Partners, and we're looking for scrappy, mission-driven teammates to join our team.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for team-oriented and mission-driven therapists to join our amazing and interdisciplinary care team of psychiatrists, therapists, and school health professionals. As a Mental Health Therapist, you'll work directly with school staff, students, and families in our partner school districts to build stronger systems of mental health support.
Role type: Part-time to full-time (20-40 hours per week)
Location: Up to 100% remote
Start date: Summer 2023, with additional rolling start dates
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Provide excellent care, including mental health assessments and teletherapy, to middle and high school students in Cartwheel’s partner school districts (typically 2-4 months per student with possible extension up to 6 months)
- Participate in case discussions with other Cartwheel team members
- Support students and families with transition to community mental health and primary care providers
- Build collaborative, trusted, and lasting relationships with school leadership, staff, students, and families. Meet regularly with school staff to discuss student mental health needs and develop strategies to improve school services.
- Help lead mental health workshops and other programming for staff and families
- Partner with school leadership on achieving their overall mental health vision
- If interested, provide clinical supervision to other care team members
WHO YOU ARE
- Passion for working with schools on mental health
- Active license in Illinois to deliver mental health care (LCSW/Master's-level LSW, LCPC/LPC, LMFT/ALMFT, or PhD/PsyD)
- Experience with CBT, DBT, ACT, solution-focused therapy, and/or motivational interviewing
- Experience delivering care via telehealth
- Excellent organization, communication, and teamwork skills
- NOTE: As long as you have an active Illinois license, you can live and deliver care from anywhere in the United States
- Fluency in other languages (e.g., Spanish, Portuguese)
- Experience with parent guidance
- Experience developing and/or delivering skill-building workshops for parents and families on mental health topics
- Willingness to offer hours both during and after a typical school day (e.g., 3-8pm Central Time) or weekends
- Willingness to visit schools and meet with staff occasionally during the year
The above is a summary of the role, not an exhaustive list. If you think that you have most of the above but not everything, please apply. We'd love to hear from you.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE CARTWHEEL
At Cartwheel, you’ll have an unmatched provider experience.
- Flexible and up to 100% remote role (20-40 hrs/week)
- Competitive compensation ($70-100K cash compensation for full-time Master’s-level clinicians)
- Full-time roles include excellent health insurance, paid time off, and an ownership stake in the company
- Team-based care model with mission-driven colleagues
- Administrative support from our experienced, full-time Care Coordinators so you can focus on delivering care
- Opportunities beyond clinical care, including working closely with schools on staff support, workshops, and other programming
Cartwheel is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diverse backgrounds and perspectives and an inclusive work environment. We're committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability status, or veteran status.
Something looks off?