Director of Sales
Sales & Business Development
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Monday, September 25, 2023
Blueland is revolutionizing conventional cleaning and personal care products to eliminate the need for single-use plastic packaging, while prioritizing the planet and people. We believe that we should be able to have a clean home without sacrificing a clean planet and that sustainable choices should be effective, convenient, and affordable. We also believe that businesses need to be reconstructed to consider all stakeholders, not just profit.
We are a science-driven company with a pipeline of proprietary products that started with our cleaning sprays and hand soap (we hold over 40 patents and patents pending worldwide). To date, we’ve already helped divert more than 1 billion single-use plastic bottles from landfills and waterways. We were the 2nd fastest growing direct-to-consumer in 2020, and have built an engaged, passionate community of close to 1M+ person community. We’re proud to be a Certified B Corp - recognized for meeting the highest standards of verified social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. We’re also Climate Neutral Certified along with many other certifications that help hold us accountable on our commitments to optimize our products for environmental and human health.
Blueland was featured on the Season 11 premiere of Shark Tank, securing an investment by Kevin O’Leary. Blueland is well-funded by top tier venture capital firms as well as notable investors including Gwyneth Paltrow, Justin Timberlake and founders of Sweetgreen, Thrive Market, Honest Company, Rent the Runway, and Bonobos. We’ve been featured across top tier outlets such as the New York Times, Fast Company, TechCrunch, VOGUE, Wall Street Journal, Inc., and more.
As Director of Sales, you will play a key role in Blueland’s disruptive growth in retail. This is a unique opportunity to change the landscape of many categories on retail shelves, making it easy for people to make sustainable choices with Blueland’s innovative products that prioritize people and planet. You will play a critical role in the Company’s future growth as Blueland continues to scale and significantly broaden brand awareness.
We are looking for an exceptional executor and well-rounded, emerging strategic leader who can inspire and make waves both internally and externally. It will be necessary that you champion a “go further together” mentality and style, working extremely well across all of Blueland’s functional teams to bring our retail vision to life while exceeding customer expectations. This role reports to the VP of Retail.
- Lead the successful development and execution of Blueland’s retail business with partners including Mass, Club, Grocery, eComm, and Specialty classes of trade
- Responsible for forecasting and sales analytics needs for our customer accounts
- Create and own the annual business plans for retail customers to achieve revenue and profitably goals while also ensuring alignment with Blueland’s overall brand and channel strategy
- Successfully collaborate with cross-functional teams to support go-to-market strategy and demand-building initiatives across our retail customers
- Provide a data and insights driven voice for retail internally – interpreting data to create compelling recommendations for Blueland’s retail strategy
- Foster exceptionally strong relationships with our retail customers including buying, marketing and C-suite teams to drive fully aligned partnerships that support outsized outcomes for Blueland in stores
- Responsible for reporting directly to the VP of Retail on regular basis in regard to your key account priorities, goals, strategy, and initiatives
- Responsible for leading the charge on all new item / innovation presentations to retailers, to ensure we're getting our product lines out to retail as quickly and seamlessly as possible
- Manage the customer-level P&L
- Passionate about the environment, sustainability and Blueland’s mission
- Demonstrated sales experience with distribution channels of business, including conventional grocery, natural / specialty grocery, convenience / drug, mass, and club retail
- 5-8 years of experience in sales with a working knowledge within the CPG industry; startup & direct-to-consumer experience preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, negotiation, and influencing skills to work effectively and build relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Strategic, professional and energized by doing the work everyone else thinks is impossible
- Customer-obsessed and motivated by fostering genuine partnerships that lead to industry-defining success at retail
- Willingness to think outside the box in order to deliver optimized execution at retail on a start-up budget
- A desire and humility to always improve, learn and grow
- Advanced proficiency with Excel and Google Slides is required. Experience with Slack, Google Suite, NetSuite, and Notion is preferred
- Travel is required (2-4x per month). Work hours include evenings and weekends for special events/trade shows
The salary range for this position is $165,000 - $180,000 per year with an additional bonus incentive plan available.
We prioritize our planet and our people. In addition to salary compensation, we offer various other benefits to ensure our team members can be their best self, both in and outside of work. Benefits for full time roles include: health benefits, stock options, generous paid time off, paid holidays, paid civic engagement days, paid parental leave, 401k (employee contribution), professional development stipends, remote work reimbursements, various discounts to like-minded companies and more.
At Blueland we believe in order to build a better future and planet, we must advocate for diversity, equity and inclusion. We are proud to have assembled a diverse team and strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet every qualification.